Friday 12 April 2013

How To: Correct & Conceal Dark Skin

As someone who has a permanent discolouration on their side of their nose from wearing glasses from a young age, I have found that the oddly shaped purple mark on the side of my nose always peeks through my favourite foundations which can be very irritating. A recent trick I have learnt (and use when I'm not in a rush) is how to conceal this mark and prevent it from showing up through the day.

I'm going to be showing you how I colour correct and conceal dark spots and burns on my skin; which is a MAC foundation shade of NW45 (for reference), and also my mum's skin; which is an Illamasqua Skin Base Shade of No.17, as she is about one/two shades darker and has a lot more colour pigmentation; freckles, burns etc, going on than I do.

To colour correct dark skin, I find that an orange concealer works best. Pigmented orange correctors can correct, conceal and brighten dark discolourations on darker skin, so it's perfect if you happen to have a few straighten burns on your forehead (like I do), scars or dark under-eye circles.  To do this tutorial I have used Black Up Concealer Palette in 03 which costs £23, and is actually quite good for it's price. The only other conceal/correct palette I know about is MAC Pro Conceal & Correct Palette in Dark which is £35 but comes with 2 extra concealer shades.

If you want to skip the palettes and opt for something smaller, then I recommend using Illamasqua's lipstick in Flare . It's a bright Orange lipstick that is pigmented enough to do the job and is pocket sized for on-the-go touch ups
conceal and correct marks on black skin
I really hope you enjoyed this tutorial. If there is anything you would love me to do a tutorial on, please leave a comment and let me know.