Wednesday 12 December 2012

Review:- Goldwell Kerasilk Instant Silk Fluid

Goldwell Kerasilk Instant Fluid is a highly concentrated leave-in serum designed to be used on dry or towel dried hair, to revive dry, dull hair. It’s Vitamin E, UV filters formula is suitable for all hair types and is meant to leave hair feeling silky and manageable. After I saw this on Hairtrade.com, home of hair extensions and haircare products, I was really interested to try this as I heard it was a great, lightweight shine serum and works as detangler. I then bought the Philip Kinsley Gloss Drops as a replacement for the Organic Roots Stimulator Anti-Frizz Olive Oil Gloss Polisher (which fyi is HORRiBLE!!)
As I’ve been really hung up on my ingredients lately thanks to Grace and her article on Toxic Beauty Ingredients, I’ve really been checking and double checking (and binning) a lot of products, so the first thing I checked when I received my Kerasilk Instant Silk Fluid was to check its ingredient list and honestly everything was alright until I got to the bottom of the list  . . .then I had some issues. , My first issue lay with the fact that this conditioner contained Alcohol Denat (aka Denatured Alcohol) an ingredient normally used in hair sprays, and is not terrible good for your hair as it dries it out and sucks the moisture out (which is not a great ingredient choice for a serum).
The Goldwell Kerasilk Instant Silk Fluid also containsPhenoxyethanol, Butylparaben Ethylparaben, Methylparaben and Propylparaben . . .that’s a lot of parabens & preservatives. I just did a blog post recently highlight the controversy with Parabens and Phenoxyethanol (which is meant to be a parabens alternative) so this did make me a bit uncomfortable. If you consider than Alcohol Denat is sometimes used as a preservative, you do have to ask why does a product formulation need to contain 6 different types of preservatives? Keeping positive as these ingredients are listed very low on the ingredient list, I decided to use this on freshly washed damp hair with a little bit of Sweet Almond Oil and 3 drops of Rosemary Essential Oil to moisturize my scalp
The Goldwell Kerasilk Instant Silk Fluid comes in a muted gold pump bottle which I always feel serums and hair products should come in, as it makes dispensing so much easier when my hands wet. The serum formula is very light in the hair and doesn’t take on a thick serum that some serums have which I really despise. This did do exactly what it said it would do on the bottle as it left my hair feeling very manageable as well made my regrowth (natural hair growth after a chemical hair treatment) a lot flatter and silky . . . very, very silky (strokes hair).
I think this works quite well for me on my hair but I think this would be a godsend for the ladies rocking the Brazilian/Peruvian extensions as it is a lot light than the majority of serums currently on the market and wont weigh down the extensions.
Do you normally use Serums in your hair? Have you tried Goldwell before?