Wednesday 4 April 2012

Eau du Smoke: Petrol Black Smokey Eye

I really love pulling makeup inspirations from requests. I think it brings about a different pace to the blog and really gets me thinking about what looks I am able to do well and what i need to work on. This weeks makeup looks are all going to be based on the classic makeup look that is the smokey eye and it's all because of Fiona, the blogger behind Love Your Tresses.

Love Your Tresses is a London Based blog all about embracing and nurturing your hair and building a healthy hair routine. Fiona's Blog documents her personal journey to get healthier hair and is rammed full of hair advice, regimes, recipes and easy to do hair styles. Love Your Tresses is a great online stop off if you want to pick up practical hints and tips on how to manage hair; relaxed or natural.

Fiona has really got me pulling a 'First' on Epiphannie A. She has asked me not only to do dark smokey eyes (which suprisingly I haven't done yet) but also to do a step-by-step picture tutorial on how I do the loo. Fiona's Eau du Smoke Inspiration started on Monday with Smokey yet Simple, and today's look is the next look for the request inspiration.
Eyes
NYX Jumbo Pencil in Black
Barry M Dazzledust in Petrol Black 98
Bourjois Intense Extrait Eyeshadow in 05
MAC Eyeshadow in Wedge
MAC Eyeshadow in Carbon
L'oreal Paris Superliner in Carbon Gloss
MUA Cosmetics Eyeliner in Black



Preparation - I have already done my eyebrows and primed my eyelids with an eyeshadow primer.



1. Start off with a clean and primed eye.
2. Taking a flat shader brush, apply a dark base (NYX Jumbo Pencil in Black) your eyelid and blend the base all over your lid. ( If it looks a bit streaky, add a bit more as we DON'T want a streaky finish)
3. Taking a blending brush, take a dark green eyeshadow (Bourjois Intense Extrait in 05) and blend this into your crease and the outer corners of your eyes, in small circular motions.
4. Holding a flat shader brush horizontally against your outer lower lash line. gently dab the brush against the outermost portion of your lower lash line and carefully move this towards the inside of your eyes
5. Now pat a dark greenish black pigment (Barry M Dazzledust in Petrol Black 98) all over your eyelid. Blend this pigment slightly into your crease and into the corners to avoid any harsh lines.
6. Taking a doomed blending brush, apply a black eyeshadow (MAC eyeshadow in Carbon) to your inner vee to add some defintion to your eye.
7. Lastly, add your highlight colour  (MAC eyeshadow in Wedge)   of choice, line your eyes with a black eyeliner and apply lashes.


And there you have it. A Simple Petrol Black Look.
I think I'm slowly getting into the groove of these pictorials (see what I did there??) but what do you think of my look?? Fierce!!!!