Friday 2 December 2011

Brow – chick – a-wow- wow!!

This season is all about having bold, well defined and well groomed eyebrows!! If you are like me and (unfortunately) were not blessed with naturally thick eyebrows at birth then hopefully you might to fake it with this post

There seems to be a major influx of brow palettes coming into the beauty market at the moment and a lot of mixed reviews going on about them, but I’m just going to add one more *I’m sorry* and give you my twist to the reviews and how they come up on girls with darker skin.

HD  Brows in Vamp
(rrp £19.95)
What HD Brows Say

'HD Brows Eye and Brow Palettes make it easier to maintain that "fresh out the salon" appearance [. . .] The new long-lasting, anti-smudge powders will keep brows looking fab for up to 24 hours'
What I Think

This Kit is formed up of two brown-toned powders as well as a nude & carbon black eyeshadow. The HD Brows Eye and Brow Palette is the only kit in this brow review that does not come with a wax-based substance in its palettes which I have to admit is a bit of a downer for me originally

However the shadows do have a silky, smooth texture making it super easy to lift and blend so I don't think coming with a wax with have done it much good. In terms of usability, this is by far my favourite brow kit! The texture of the powders means it glides on with a silk effect and actually goes where I want it to go without too much of a fuss but in terms of colour, I found the carbon browshadow a bit to dark to be used on my eyebrows and trying to dim down the colour with a warm brown browshadow didn't really work

Rating:- 4


Sleek Eyebrow Kit in Dark
(rrp £7.99)
What Sleek Say

'For Perfectly shaped, groomed brows look no further than Sleek MakeUp's brow kit. Complete with all the tools you'll ever need for brows that flatter and frame your face [. . .] Your brows will never stray away'
What I Think

This kit comes with literally everything you need to get your eyebrows in shape. The Sleek MakeUp Brow Kit is the only kit in this brow review that comes decked out with a pair of tweezers; which screams originality to me. I really liked the small, compact, square packaging of this brow kit as it looks like the product can take a bit of a tumble and still survive another day

In the dark kit, you get a dark wax with a lighter brown setting powder (which is pretty much standard is brow kits). I think this brow kit actually gave my brows a bit of volume *if that's at all possible* , I'm not biggest fan of the brow wax colour as I think it made my eyebrows look abit grey * but what makes this browkit a winner for me is the texture of the brow wax. It did what I wanted, when I wanted and I didn't have to keep going over and over the same spot

Rating: 4


GOSH Eyebrow Palette
(rrp £7.49)

What Gosh Say

Well they don't really say anything because their website is a nightmare to navigate and Superdrugs (their main retailer) doesn't seem to have a blurb about their products . .So moving swiftly on . . .

What I Say

GOSH's Eyebrow kits were actually my first experience with eyebrow kits when it came out way back when (sometime early this year . . I think). This Kit comes with 3 browshadows as well as a clear wax. To my knowledge GOSH only do one eyebrow kit so it's really a one size kits all. I really am in two minds about this product and it might be due to the fact that I've owned this the longest so I have had a lot of time to try it out.
 I love the fact that this is a versatile product that can be used on just about anybody regardless of their skin tone and brow condition and the colour comes the closest to matching the shade of my eyebrow pencil (which I really, really love). What I don't like about this product is the stiff texture of the brow powders. I know some people would prefer a stiffer browshadow texture to a flitty one but I find the powder a bit difficult to shift and place exactly where I want it

Rating: 2


Elf Brow Kit in Dark
(rrp £3.50)
What They Say

'Create brows that are fuller,thicker and more defined! The pigmented wax defines and shapes brows, and the colour complementing setting powder keeps them looking arched and perfected.'

What I say
Despite the fact that this is the cheapest of the brow kits I have reviewed, it is (in my opinion) the strongest contender. While I'm not the biggest fan of the E.L.F compact packaging *I don't know why but the tiny little protective plastic ALWAYS comes off*, it doesn't discourage me away from this brow kit. I really, really love the wax colour; It isn't too dark or too light. 

What really gets my goat about this product because it does tick the right box for me in terms of colour and application. It has next to none longetivity! If you swatch the wax on the back of your palm and give it a little rub, it disappears into nothing and as someone who hates to retouch their eyebrows on the go

Ratings: 3 


Overall Ratings

So I'm just going to break my ratings to give you my winners in terms of colour, texture, wear and appearance

Colour:- E.L.F as the colour was just spot on
Texture:- HD Brows. Your silky texture really hypnotises
Ease of Use:- HD Brows. Silky texture makes it easier to use
Wear: Sleek as it actually lasted against my back of the hand and rub like a maniac text'
Appearance:- Sleek as this brow kit looks like it will take a tumble and keep on going

I really hope this review helped out you wade through the sea of eyebrow kits out on the marker, especially if you were planning to shell out on any eyebrow kit this winter.